There has been a controversy regarding having own residential place within the territory of a city or the verge of it. However, there are comparative advantages and disadvantages in having the living places of each of them. Let us put a consideration highlighting both.
Advantages of living in city area
1. Access of easy transportation: One of the main perk of living in an urban center is access to fluid transportation system. Having a car is not mandatory as there are others mode of transportation that are easily available. There are buses and local trains to carry people at affordable prices. This makes travelling from one position to other much cost-effective.
2. Best schools and colleges: Cities can boast of having best schools and colleges. Thus the dwellers can have the opportunity of best quality education while being in city. Being properly educated is a favorable aspect of city-dwelling
3. Source of entertainment: The cities are filled with mediums of entertaining facilities. A city is venue for museums, theaters and a host of various cultural programs. Various cultural programs are held at regular intervals enabling the people to enjoy them.
4. Easy hub for young: A city is an ideal place for young generation. They love social and friendly gathering, outing, outside partying and such affairs. Cities are equipped with centers for eating and shopping. Thus, the young generation loves to be here as they can easily enjoy the company of their friends, soul-mates and gather sufficient energy.
5. Career Scope: Cities are career hubs. All the big companies and their associates flung their offices in and around cities. Job opportunities are thus more in these areas. The young generation gets jobs of their choices while being in cities and thus the cities are spots of career venues.
6. Best Medical Care: Living in cities provides scope for easy medical care and attentiveness. These are hubs for best Medical Institutions making availing of best medical care in case of emergencies easier.
Disadvantages of City-dwelling
1. Privacy is lacking: Living in modern cities means living in chaos. This precipitates the reduction in privacy. Gathering of huge traffic in a small place endows noise and disorderliness.
2. Soaring high price for spaces: Urban living brings up a huge gathering in a small place that infers a great demand for housing spaces. The high demand also brought about soaring prices for land or living places. The rental portion also charge high prices and outright prices are still expensive.
3. Lack in open space: The most tragic disadvantage of an urban space is that availability of open and green spaces are too lacking. Thus, the exercise of any physical activity is nearly impossible. Only some park and such open spaces are administered by the authority to help the dwellers get free air and breathe in open spaces.
4. Pollution: All the big cities suffer from the odds of pollution these days. Motorized transport, factories fumes and wastages, sewer wastages etc are sources of air and water pollution. Besides, there are sound pollution that are caused by the emission of loud and shrill horns emitted by vehicle and other sources. The pollution has the largest evil telling on human health.
5. Crime: Big crimes are stated to happen mostly in big cities. The common are mostly seen to be victimized from such evil activity. So, the security system is made more alert in all the big cities.
Comparatives in judging between city and suburban living
1. Comparatively better green spaces: Semi-urban life is mostly chosen for a comparative better access to green areas. People know the functionality of green areas in their lives. The atmosphere is more refreshed there. It induces more energy and comfort in the living. Chaoses that are common in urban life is seldom found in a suburban life.
2. Commuting: Dwellers may find it more problematic while reaching to their working place, if it is in the nearby city. Public transport to nearby cities may be a problem in this case and you need to stay near Railway Station as it might be the only way to reach to the nearest city within justified time.
3. Cool design of houses: The houses made in the suburban are seen to be a mix of rich interior decoration available in the city and the basic design found in the rural areas. Thus, the houses bear a taste of entire different nature and often bring comfort in the eyes of the visitors from outside.
4. Cost: Cost of living may also be a deciding factor regarding living in a city or suburban area. The cost of residential area or apartment whether on rent or outright purchase will not be as costly as in the city. This is a deciding factor why common people chose to live in suburban areas.
5. Close to entertainment: Like the city areas, suburban areas are now today enriched with facilities like theater, public opera houses, various cultural center where people can feed up their cultural hunger. There are many residential complexes that have a community hall where some sort of cultural programs are held every weekends or once in a month. In these programs, children and the adults get their opportunity to show talent in different fields. They don’t need to move to any big city for getting entertained.
6. Better relation among people: In the suburban areas, people are more known to each other and thus, there is a sense of commune between them. This is scarcely found in city life. There the people are coming from different background and there is hardly any close bonding between these people.
Thus, from the above discussion, it can be hold that though cities brings out easy comforts of life within reach, yet these places are no longer remain ideal for a comfortable dwelling. The depth in traffic and constant chaos, possibility for being victimized of a crime has put these facilities far away from being chosen as a place for living. And, the suburbs are not lagging behind in providing the basic amenities of life. Though the evils of an urban life are gradually sweeping in, but still a planned life in semi-urban area is more preferred than the clumsy city life.