A portable air conditioner (PAC) is a self-contained portable system ideal for cooling single rooms. They typically sit on the floor and come with an installation kit for quick set up. Most models also have wheels so you can move them to different rooms, making them a nice alternative to window units.
You really do need an enclosed area for a portable air conditioner to be most effective. Otherwise that nice cold air drifts away and you don’t get much cooling benefit from it. It also keeps the hot exhaust out of your nice, cooled space. But that doesn’t mean air conditioning has to be confined to the home or office.Almost any enclosed structure that doesn’t have access to conventional air conditioning can benefit from a portable unit.Special events like weddings, parties and receptions use tents that benefit tremendously from portable air conditioning. Trade shows, conferences and temporary offices are often limited in terms of cooling, yet impressing clients and customers and providing for their comfort is often a sign of a company’s care and attention to detail. Expectations of comfort are often high for these kinds of events and portable ac can meet those expectations.
Climate control is critical in the broadcast booths of sports and other events. The electronics can get so hot they’ll stop working (and so can the technicians)! And maintaining an aircraft, or even a boat on a hot day can be a miserable task.No other outdoor cooling method can protect electronic equipment in a booth, grounded aircraft or boat like a portable air conditioner because they can reduce humidity in the area they are cooling.
To vent a Portable Air Conditioner, you need to do the following steps:
1. When venting a portable air conditioner, attach any hose connectors/adapters and insert the hose (or hoses).
2. Extend the adjustable window kit the length of your window. If necessary, trim the window bracket to fit your window snugly. Your specific model may come with screws to keep the window kit in place. Then close your window to secure the kit in place.
3. Next, connect the vent hose to the window kit. With your model properly installed and vented, you can start cooling immediately. Just plug it in and program your settings.
The major parts are:
1. Compressor – outdoors: The electric pump, or heart of the system, that circulates the refrigerant in a closed loop between the condenser and evaporator coils. Compressors come in more than one variety. According to Consumer Reports™ “A reciprocating compressor is more trouble-prone than a scroll-type one, they say. While pricier, scroll-type compressors do tend to be higher in efficiency and quieter than reciprocating compressors. Most manufacturers offer both types of compressor.”
2. Condenser coil – outdoors: A network of tubes filled with refrigerant that remove heat from the heated gas refrigerant and convert the refrigerant into a liquid form again. The excess heat escapes into the outside air.
3. Fan – outdoors: Pulls air through the condenser coil for heat dispersal.
4. Evaporator coil – indoors: A network of tubes filled with refrigerant that remove heat and moisture from the air as the refrigerant evaporates into a gas again.
5. Air handling unit – indoors: the blower and related portion of the central air conditioning system that moves air through the air ducts.
6. Air filters – indoors: Air filter elements trap dust, pollen, and other airborne particles as air moves through the air conditioning system. Air filters contribute to both reliable air conditioner operation and health, so we dedicated a page to them.
Why people love Portable Air Conditioner beyond normal Air Conditioner?
People love portable Air Conditioners much more than the normal ones for its huge benefits such as (But not limited to):
1. Cheap and affordable — the main advantage of using portable air conditioners is its affordability. For people who are low on budget but still wants to have their rooms air conditioned these portable AC types are perfect for the job. Most of these units will just cost around $200 which is extremely affordable compared to conventional air conditioning units.
2. Portability — another advantage of using this type of air conditioning unit is its portability. One can easily move these air conditioners from one area of the house to another. It is perfect for apartments condominiums and small houses. Unlike conventional AC units it is normally installed and placed in a fixed location which can be a hassle when moving and such.
3. Saves energy — As tropical countries have only two types of climates sunny and rainy air conditioning is normally used all year round. For people with limited budget living in these countries paying electric bills for air conditioning may be too much. Portable air conditioning units can help save energy because one can limit the use of air conditioning one room at a time. Unlike conventional air conditioning units that cool the entire house every time it is turned on even though only part of the house is in use. One can easily focus on cooling a specific area of the house which is extremely energy efficient.
4. No installation — portable air conditioners do not require any installation. One simply plugs it into an electric outlet and it is ready to use. This is one of the main reasons why these types of air conditioners are gaining popularity particularly in tropical countries. This feature can also save money are installation fees are no longer needed.
5. Excellent Dehumidifiers — tropical climate can at some time be extremely humid. Portable air conditioners can be great Dehumidifiers as many of these units have a built-in
dehumidifying function. These units are perfect for people with allergies or have allergic reactions to humidity. One can easily place it in a room when needed and simply move it to anywhere without any hassle. These units also have filters to sieve out allergens such as pollens dust and such.
Is that Portable Air Conditioner different with Portable Evaporative Cooler?
When trying to stay cool on a hot summer day you have two big choices: air conditioning or evaporative cooling. Both can be great at keeping you cool in the right environment but there are a few key differences that you may want to consider. Our helpful inforgraphic reviews the hottest points of this debate so you can make your choice armed with the knowledge you need.An evaporative cooler (also swamp cooler, desert cooler and wet air cooler) is a device that cools air through the evaporation of water. Evaporative cooling differs from typical air conditioning systems, which use vapor-compression or absorption refrigeration cycles.
(1) Keystone KSTAP06E 6, 000 BTU 115V Portable Air Conditioner with Remote Control
Keystone 6, 000 BTU portable air conditioner features 3 modes to keep you comfortable – cool, fan and dry. Designed for a room up to 200 square feet, features include manual front louvers for air direction, electronic controls with LED display and a remote control. Quiet operation (50 dba on low) helps you get a good night’s sleep. Omni-directional Casters roll the unit easily from room to room wherever you need relief. Plus, this self-evaporative unit includes a flexible exhaust hose and window venting kit for quick and easy setup.
(2) Koldfront 8000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner PAC802W
The Koldfront 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner (PAC802W) packs a lot of cooling power into its compact frame. The air cooler can regulate up to 250 square feet and the easy to install window kit offers a wide variety of placement choices while only requiring a small amount of window space. For added comfort, the air conditioner also functions as a 61 pint/day dehumidifier, removing excess moisture from the air to produce even fresher cool air. The Auto Swing option allows the unit’s louvers to move up and down continuously, while the user can set the louvers to remain static in any position they prefer. Convenient Window Kit: The easy to install Window Kit allows the air conditioner to vent all excess moisture outside of your house, and takes up much less window space than traditional in-window air conditioner units. Current: 8.0A; Input Power: 900W; Weight: 57.2 lbs; Dimensions: 34.5″ H x 18.75″ W x 15.75″ D
(3) EdgeStar Extreme Cool 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner – Silver
The Koldfront AP12000S-KF (formerly the Edgestar AP12000S) is a 12,000 BTU rated portable air conditioner that is capable of effectively cooling up to 425 sq.ft. of enclosed space. The unit includes an air vent hose and window kit that expands out to a generous 55” maximum. The AP12000S-KF offers features such as a 12hr programmable timer, dehumidifier function (90 pints per day), 3 fan speeds, digital thermostat control with a 61F to 89F setting range, remote control and caster wheels. The unit includes a washable pre-filter and one replaceable carbon filter to help control odors and pollutants. The unit features an internal condensate removal system that will handle all but the most humid environments saving you the trouble of manually emptying a water bucket. The AP-12000S-KF meets new RoHS standards that restrict the amount of certain toxins in electronic and electrical equipment. Furthermore, it also uses R-410A refrigerant for cooling, which does not contribute to ozone depletion.
(4) MP Series 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Front Grille and Remote Control in White/Gray
The Honeywell MP Series 8,000 BTU portable air conditioner with front grille design cools, ventilates, and dehumidifies up to 250 square feet. Featuring 3-in-1 technology, it is an air conditioner, fan and dehumidifier all rolled into one compact unit. The front grille design provides powerful air flow. The full-function remote control allows you to operate each feature from across the room. Unlike a fixed AC, this unit requires no permanent installation and four caster wheels provide easy mobility between areas. Plus, the auto-evaporation system allows for hours of continuous operation with no water to drain or no bucket to empty. This model comes with everything needed including a flexible exhaust hose and an easy-to-install window venting kit. The window vent can be removed when the unit is not in use.
(5) EdgeStar 13,500 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
Stay out of the smoldering summer heat and eliminate unwanted hotspots with the EdgeStar 13,500 BTU Portable Air Conditioner (AP13500G). This compact AC is an ideal addition for spaces up to 450 square feet, supplying 13,500 BTUs of cooling power to easily achieve temperatures between 61° and 86°F. You’ll have no issues installing the AP13500G in your house, apartment or condominium—the included window kit is designed for an easy installation in windows with a minimum width of 20.5”and maximum width of 56.7”. In addition to cooling, this intuitive air conditioner comes equipped with a built-in dehumidifying function, pulling up to 86 pints of moisture per day to ensure your space is as healthy as can be. With convenient features like automatic restart, turbo mode, sleep mode and more, the EdgeStar 13,500 BTU Portable Air Conditioner will effortlessly keep your home cool and comfortable for seasons to come. This EdgeStar portable AC uses non ozone-damaging R-410A refrigerant and is made with all RoHS compliant components that are free of harmful chemicals Dimensions: 30.50”H x 14.75”W x 17.38”D.
(6) DELLA 048-GM-48266 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner Cooling Fan Dehumidifier A/C Remote Control + Window Vent Kit, White
Della enjoy portable cooling with the portable air conditioner. The cooling power keep a room up to 300 sq. Ft. Cool and comfortable and the multi speed cooling and fan and 2-way air direction help spread the air evenly throughout the room. Digital controls offer precise temperature adjustments, and the remote control lets you control the air conditioner from across the room. Feature: &Lt bar &/get designed for minimal energy Consumption. Efficient air conditioner uses Ozone-Safe R-410A refrigerant bar &/get compact-yet-robust unit cools spaces up to square feet with average ambient room conditions bar &/get use it in smaller indoor spaces, such as bedrooms, classrooms, and garages or workshop bar &/get easily wheeled between rooms without being lifted or carried bar &/get program the unit to activate or shut off at preset times with the timer&/get included remote control puts the full set of controls at your fingertips bar &/get LED display and simple selections control panel, including a mode selection button, up/down temperature adjustments, and fan speed selection&/get eco friendly 410a refrigerant&/get full-function remote controls bar.