A portable air conditioner (PAC) is a self-contained portable system ideal for cooling single rooms. They typically sit on the floor and come with an installation kit for quick set up. Most models also have wheels so you can move them to different rooms, making them a nice alternative to window units.
You really do need an enclosed area for a portable air conditioner to be most effective. Otherwise that nice cold air drifts away and you don’t get much cooling benefit from it. It also keeps the hot exhaust out of your nice, cooled space. But that doesn’t mean air conditioning has to be confined to the home or office.Almost any enclosed structure that doesn’t have access to conventional air conditioning can benefit from a portable unit.Special events like weddings, parties and receptions use tents that benefit tremendously from portable air conditioning. Trade shows, conferences and temporary offices are often limited in terms of cooling, yet impressing clients and customers and providing for their comfort is often a sign of a company’s care and attention to detail. Expectations of comfort are often high for these kinds of events and portable ac can meet those expectations.
Climate control is critical in the broadcast booths of sports and other events. The electronics can get so hot they’ll stop working (and so can the technicians)! And maintaining an aircraft, or even a boat on a hot day can be a miserable task.No other outdoor cooling method can protect electronic equipment in a booth, grounded aircraft or boat like a portable air conditioner because they can reduce humidity in the area they are cooling.
Why people love Portable Air Conditioner beyond normal Air Conditioner?
People love portable Air Conditioners much more than the normal ones for its huge benefits such as (But not limited to):
1. Cheap and affordable — the main advantage of using portable air conditioners is its affordability. For people who are low on budget but still wants to have their rooms air conditioned these portable AC types are perfect for the job. Most of these units will just cost around $200 which is extremely affordable compared to conventional air conditioning units.
2. Portability — another advantage of using this type of air conditioning unit is its portability. One can easily move these air conditioners from one area of the house to another. It is perfect for apartments condominiums and small houses. Unlike conventional AC units it is normally installed and placed in a fixed location which can be a hassle when moving and such.
3. Saves energy — As tropical countries have only two types of climates sunny and rainy air conditioning is normally used all year round. For people with limited budget living in these countries paying electric bills for air conditioning may be too much. Portable air conditioning units can help save energy because one can limit the use of air conditioning one room at a time. Unlike conventional air conditioning units that cool the entire house every time it is turned on even though only part of the house is in use. One can easily focus on cooling a specific area of the house which is extremely energy efficient.
4. No installation — portable air conditioners do not require any installation. One simply plugs it into an electric outlet and it is ready to use. This is one of the main reasons why these types of air conditioners are gaining popularity particularly in tropical countries. This feature can also save money are installation fees are no longer needed.
5. Excellent Dehumidifiers — tropical climate can at some time be extremely humid. Portable air conditioners can be great Dehumidifiers as many of these units have a built-in
dehumidifying function. These units are perfect for people with allergies or have allergic reactions to humidity. One can easily place it in a room when needed and simply move it to anywhere without any hassle. These units also have filters to sieve out allergens such as pollens dust and such.
Is that Portable Air Conditioner different with Portable Evaporative Cooler?
When trying to stay cool on a hot summer day you have two big choices: air conditioning or evaporative cooling. Both can be great at keeping you cool in the right environment but there are a few key differences that you may want to consider. Our helpful inforgraphic reviews the hottest points of this debate so you can make your choice armed with the knowledge you need.An evaporative cooler (also swamp cooler, desert cooler and wet air cooler) is a device that cools air through the evaporation of water. Evaporative cooling differs from typical air conditioning systems, which use vapor-compression or absorption refrigeration cycles.
1. DeLonghi PACAN140ES.WH-3A Pinguino Plus Portable Air Conditioner
If you are looking for something powerful and quiet this air conditioner does not disappoint in any way. This can cool a room of 600 square feet very effectively. The good thing about this gadget is that it can eliminate the growth of mildew and molds, also expect any unpleasant odor to be gone.
The easy installation process makes this the ideal product for every home. The wheels and handles facilitate good movement. The conditioner has three different levels of fan speeds. There is no denying that this air conditioner is worth the money as it packs in a very powerful performance.
2. BLACK+DECKER BPACT08WT, 8000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner Unit
This energy efficient air conditioner can cool an area of 150 square feet within a very short time. The good thing about this gadget is that it has a very consistent air throw and the temperature in the room is uniform. The user friendly controls in the air conditioner makes it easy to operate.
The noiseless operation is a plus point of this air conditioner. The outer body has a very strong build and clearly it is built to last. There is no doubt that this air conditioner is worth buying as it does not disappoint in terms of performance.
3. Emerson Quiet Kool EAPC14RD1 Portable Air Conditioner
With this Portable air conditioner you can now enjoy a great deal of flexibility. Easy to operate via remote control, the wheels on the device makes easy to be moved around the room or house. Thanks to the evaporation technology in the device it also functions like a dehumidifier.
The good thing about this air conditioner is that it consumes very little energy but at the same time it packs in a very powerful performance. There is no doubt that this is worth every single penny as it boasts of major improvements over the previous models. The robust build assures you that it will last for many years to come.
4. COSTWAY 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
This is by far the best air conditioner in the market; it has already outsold every other brand in the market. This model boasts of fabulous improvements over the other models. This can mounted on the wall and easily operated via the remote control included with it.
In case you want to move it around, the device has wheels and it permits smooth mobility. The gadget also doubles as a dehumidifier which is again a huge plus for all users. The air conditioner operates on different modes and is very easy to clean. There is no denying that a as a user you will get more than your money.
5. Whynter 14,000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner (ARC-14S)
This portable air conditioner has a special evaporating technology that recycles moisture to prevent condensation. The self restart mechanism is also a plus point of this gadget. This model has a separate mode for using it as a dehumidifier which is another great feature that the device has.
The user friendly controls make it very easy to use even for first timers. This energy efficient air conditioner features a pre-filter that can be washed. The strong build makes sure that this gadget gives you years of service. By purchasing this gadget you can do no wrong at all, it is well worth every penny you spend on it.
6. Quilo QP112WK Portable Air Conditioner with Dehumidifier & Fan
This air conditioner has top notch features that make this a sought after product. The air conditioner is already outselling all the other brands in the market. This device is practically noiseless. With a powerful air throw and an automated evaporation technology, makes this gadget worth buying.
The best thing about the air conditioner is that it comes with an easy to use remote control. So, even as a first timer using this cooling device should not be a problem. A compact design and sturdy finish makes sure that this will last for a very long time. The customer support provided by the company is commendable.
7. DELLA 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
This is a very powerful air conditioner that works well in a room of 300square feet. Highly portable, this device has multiple settings for cooling speed. The dual direction fan helps to distribute cool air evenly all over the room.
Very easy to operate via remote control, the user manual has instructions mentioned very clearly. With the digital controls you will have no trouble setting the temperature at a desired level. The best part about this device is that it is practically noiseless and so it would make a perfect addition to your home. So, do not hesitate to buy this air conditioner.
8. Honeywell Contempo Series Portable Air Conditioner, Dehumidifier & Fan
Dependable, powerful and stylish are some of the words that describe this air conditioner the best. If you are looking for an air conditioner that is easy to operate and quiet then this is just perfect. This device provides dual filtration for areas up to 450 square feet and packs in a very powerful performance.
This gadget requires very little maintenance which makes a must buy product. The good thing is that the installation process is not tedious or time consuming at all. As a user you will not be disappointed with this product at all. The outer body of the air conditioner is very sturdy and so it is evident that it will last for a long time.
9. Quilo QP114WK Portable Air Conditioner with Dehumidifier & Fan
This air conditioner is packed with features that deliver a very powerful performance. The triple setting makes this device perfect for all seasons. The automated evaporation technology makes keeps the room cold without you having to drain too much of water. This air conditioner does not consume too much electricity which is a huge plus point of the device.
The clever designing of the air conditioner facilitates easy installation and mobility. The contemporary and sleek exterior adds to the beauty of the room. The company offers fabulous customer support services to the customers. This product is worth buying as it does not disappoint in any way.
10. Global Air 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner Cooling/Fan
This air conditioner is the best in the market and is a vast improvement over the other models. It is this improvement that has made it the market leader and has outsold all the brands. The advanced features on this air conditioner make it a top performer. With the digital controls in this gadget you can set the temperature to a desired level very easily.
Practically noiseless and a strong outer body is proof that that this air conditioner will last for a very long time to come. The installation is very easy, so if you are first timer you will not have a problem using it.
11. DELLA 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner Cooling Fan Dehumidifier
This portable air conditioner packs in quite a powerful performance for spaces that measure 450 Square feet. Easy operation via remote control, this air conditioner is a must for all homes. Very easy to install so people who are first timers will not have to struggle to get the best out of this machine.
The multi mode setting to help you use the device as per your requirement and this is a huge plus point for the air conditioner. There is no doubt that this air conditioner is worth buying. You will not be disappointed with this product by any means.
(1) Keystone KSTAP06E 6, 000 BTU 115V Portable Air Conditioner with Remote Control
Keystone 6, 000 BTU portable air conditioner features 3 modes to keep you comfortable – cool, fan and dry. Designed for a room up to 200 square feet, features include manual front louvers for air direction, electronic controls with LED display and a remote control. Quiet operation (50 dba on low) helps you get a good night’s sleep. Omni-directional Casters roll the unit easily from room to room wherever you need relief. Plus, this self-evaporative unit includes a flexible exhaust hose and window venting kit for quick and easy setup.
(2) Koldfront 8000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner PAC802W
The Koldfront 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner (PAC802W) packs a lot of cooling power into its compact frame. The air cooler can regulate up to 250 square feet and the easy to install window kit offers a wide variety of placement choices while only requiring a small amount of window space. For added comfort, the air conditioner also functions as a 61 pint/day dehumidifier, removing excess moisture from the air to produce even fresher cool air. The Auto Swing option allows the unit’s louvers to move up and down continuously, while the user can set the louvers to remain static in any position they prefer. Convenient Window Kit: The easy to install Window Kit allows the air conditioner to vent all excess moisture outside of your house, and takes up much less window space than traditional in-window air conditioner units. Current: 8.0A; Input Power: 900W; Weight: 57.2 lbs; Dimensions: 34.5″ H x 18.75″ W x 15.75″ D
(3) EdgeStar Extreme Cool 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner – Silver
The Koldfront AP12000S-KF (formerly the Edgestar AP12000S) is a 12,000 BTU rated portable air conditioner that is capable of effectively cooling up to 425 sq.ft. of enclosed space. The unit includes an air vent hose and window kit that expands out to a generous 55” maximum. The AP12000S-KF offers features such as a 12hr programmable timer, dehumidifier function (90 pints per day), 3 fan speeds, digital thermostat control with a 61F to 89F setting range, remote control and caster wheels. The unit includes a washable pre-filter and one replaceable carbon filter to help control odors and pollutants. The unit features an internal condensate removal system that will handle all but the most humid environments saving you the trouble of manually emptying a water bucket. The AP-12000S-KF meets new RoHS standards that restrict the amount of certain toxins in electronic and electrical equipment. Furthermore, it also uses R-410A refrigerant for cooling, which does not contribute to ozone depletion.
(4) MP Series 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Front Grille and Remote Control in White/Gray
The Honeywell MP Series 8,000 BTU portable air conditioner with front grille design cools, ventilates, and dehumidifies up to 250 square feet. Featuring 3-in-1 technology, it is an air conditioner, fan and dehumidifier all rolled into one compact unit. The front grille design provides powerful air flow. The full-function remote control allows you to operate each feature from across the room. Unlike a fixed AC, this unit requires no permanent installation and four caster wheels provide easy mobility between areas. Plus, the auto-evaporation system allows for hours of continuous operation with no water to drain or no bucket to empty. This model comes with everything needed including a flexible exhaust hose and an easy-to-install window venting kit. The window vent can be removed when the unit is not in use.
(5) EdgeStar 13,500 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
Stay out of the smoldering summer heat and eliminate unwanted hotspots with the EdgeStar 13,500 BTU Portable Air Conditioner (AP13500G). This compact AC is an ideal addition for spaces up to 450 square feet, supplying 13,500 BTUs of cooling power to easily achieve temperatures between 61° and 86°F. You’ll have no issues installing the AP13500G in your house, apartment or condominium—the included window kit is designed for an easy installation in windows with a minimum width of 20.5”and maximum width of 56.7”. In addition to cooling, this intuitive air conditioner comes equipped with a built-in dehumidifying function, pulling up to 86 pints of moisture per day to ensure your space is as healthy as can be. With convenient features like automatic restart, turbo mode, sleep mode and more, the EdgeStar 13,500 BTU Portable Air Conditioner will effortlessly keep your home cool and comfortable for seasons to come. This EdgeStar portable AC uses non ozone-damaging R-410A refrigerant and is made with all RoHS compliant components that are free of harmful chemicals Dimensions: 30.50”H x 14.75”W x 17.38”D.
(6) DELLA 048-GM-48266 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner Cooling Fan Dehumidifier A/C Remote Control + Window Vent Kit, White
Della enjoy portable cooling with the portable air conditioner. The cooling power keep a room up to 300 sq. Ft. Cool and comfortable and the multi speed cooling and fan and 2-way air direction help spread the air evenly throughout the room. Digital controls offer precise temperature adjustments, and the remote control lets you control the air conditioner from across the room. Feature: &Lt bar &/get designed for minimal energy Consumption. Efficient air conditioner uses Ozone-Safe R-410A refrigerant bar &/get compact-yet-robust unit cools spaces up to square feet with average ambient room conditions bar &/get use it in smaller indoor spaces, such as bedrooms, classrooms, and garages or workshop bar &/get easily wheeled between rooms without being lifted or carried bar &/get program the unit to activate or shut off at preset times with the timer&/get included remote control puts the full set of controls at your fingertips bar &/get LED display and simple selections control panel, including a mode selection button, up/down temperature adjustments, and fan speed selection&/get eco friendly 410a refrigerant&/get full-function remote controls bar.
You might be interested in major parts of Portable Air Conditioner are:
1. Compressor – outdoors: The electric pump, or heart of the system, that circulates the refrigerant in a closed loop between the condenser and evaporator coils. Compressors come in more than one variety. According to Consumer Reports™ “A reciprocating compressor is more trouble-prone than a scroll-type one, they say. While pricier, scroll-type compressors do tend to be higher in efficiency and quieter than reciprocating compressors. Most manufacturers offer both types of compressor.”
2. Condenser coil – outdoors: A network of tubes filled with refrigerant that remove heat from the heated gas refrigerant and convert the refrigerant into a liquid form again. The excess heat escapes into the outside air.
3. Fan – outdoors: Pulls air through the condenser coil for heat dispersal.
4. Evaporator coil – indoors: A network of tubes filled with refrigerant that remove heat and moisture from the air as the refrigerant evaporates into a gas again.
5. Air handling unit – indoors: the blower and related portion of the central air conditioning system that moves air through the air ducts.
6. Air filters – indoors: Air filter elements trap dust, pollen, and other airborne particles as air moves through the air conditioning system. Air filters contribute to both reliable air conditioner operation and health, so we dedicated a page to them.
To vent a Portable Air Conditioner, you need to do the following steps:
1. When venting a portable air conditioner, attach any hose connectors/adapters and insert the hose (or hoses).
2. Extend the adjustable window kit the length of your window. If necessary, trim the window bracket to fit your window snugly. Your specific model may come with screws to keep the window kit in place. Then close your window to secure the kit in place.
3. Next, connect the vent hose to the window kit. With your model properly installed and vented, you can start cooling immediately. Just plug it in and program your settings.